Gum disease can be an upsetting condition that affects the health of your mouth, the appearance of your gums and even the way your breath smells. Knowing how to avoid gum disease and knowing the signs that you have gum disease can help you decide when it’s time to see the dentist in Sioux Falls, SD.
Know the Signs
You should be able to tell if you have gum disease because you’ll have symptoms that are hard to ignore. Some of the signs of gum disease include:
- Puffy, red, inflamed gums
- Gums are purple-ish in color
- Gums feel tender when they’re touched
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away when you brush your teeth
- Gums bleed easily when you brush your teeth
- Teeth are loose
- Gums are receding from the teeth/teeth seem to be growing longer
- It hurts to chew
- Spaces developing between your teeth
Consider Risk Factors
Some people are more at risk for getting gum disease than others. If you’re at high risk for gum disease, then it’s important to ensure you see the dentist on a regular basis.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Taking medications that cause dry mouth
- Certain chronic conditions such as diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis
See the Dentist in Sioux Falls
One of the things you can do to avoid gum disease is to get your teeth cleaned every six months. See the dentist twice per year for general dental cleaning services in Sioux Falls, SD, and your dentist will keep you up to date on the health of your teeth. Your dentist will also tell you what you can do to improve your oral hygiene habits.
Want to know more about gum disease? Call First Class Dental Care today with your questions.